Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bunn Phase Brew Review, It Kicks Ass!

Before going off on my rant about Danny Davis, I thought I'd review a product we purchased today. This is my Bunn Phase Brew review:

I have to say, I thought I'd had a good cup of coffee before. I had that free Gevalia coffee maker and thought it brewed a great cup of coffee, even though the coffee itself from Gevalia tastes like crap. The Bunn Phase Brew really shocked me. The temperature of the coffee was too hot for one of my guests, and they asked for an ice cube to cool it down. For me it was perfect. Too hot to drink right away, let it sit a few minutes. The way coffee should be. Not only was there a difference between the Bunn Phase Brew and the free Gevalia brewer that words can't describe, it actually brews better coffee than any coffee shop I've been to. Coffee Bean Connection in Baraboo, WI, makes my favorite coffee, Jamaican Me Crazy, and I still have some grounds from August when I was passing through (I buy enough to last a long time). It's the only flavored coffee I drink, because while flavor is added, it's not sweet. I drink my coffee black, I don't like sugar or milk in it. I like to taste coffee when drinking coffee, and that's mostly how this tastes, but with a slight hint of flavor. I always get a large cup of it from the shop, and a few pounds of grounds to make pots at home with the Gevalia that don't come close to the shop. Well, these 4 month old grounds actually turned out better than the shop!



The Bunn Phase Brew uses what they call a "revolutionary" method where all the water is heated to 200 degrees, and instead of being dripped down, it's sprayed in a steady stream so that all of the grounds are evenly saturated. It takes about 5 or 6 minutes for the water to heat, and then only 3-4 minutes to completely brew. The fact that the brewing time is shorter, and the water is distributed evenly means that the coffee is never bitter. Think of an espresso machine, it doesn't take long to to brew and is very strong. That is a similar principal to what this pot does. Short brewing time, yet strong coffee.

The construction of this pot also impressed me. It is very sturdy, fairly heavy, and uses a lot of stainless steel. In fact, the entire filter basket is stainless steel, which is great if you have taste buds like mine and can taste the plastic in your coffee when a plastic basket is used. It doesn't do a lot of fancy things, it has a digital readout, you can set the clock, program the timer, and tell it to start. Really, what else do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment